The goal of an open house is to get as many interested buyers through within the first few days. This is the best opportunity to attract a multiple offer situation if possible, and get you the best price in the current market. After that first rush, it may not be of benefit to hold subsequent open houses unless:
- There are several open houses in your immediate neighbourhood on a certain weekend.
- You decided to lower the price of your property on advice of your Realtor.
- Significant changes were made to the property.
- Your property was taken off market for a while, and then relisted.
You’ll want to remember that many people who attend open houses are curious neighbours who may be considering listing themselves, or those who are currently listed and want to check out the competition. Not ALL attendees are potential buyers; nevertheless, open houses are the best way to maximize exposure and successfully launch a marketing campaign.
TIPS for a Successful Open House
- Clean every inch of your home in preparation for open house & showings.
- Remove collectibles & valuables & secure in a safe or other location.
- Store seasonal & extra items you don’t need with family, friends or in a storage locker.
- Reduce the amount of clothing & items in closets & cupboards. Maximize storage.
- Arrange furniture in most pleasing way, allowing for easy movement around home.
- Replace bulbs, clean light fixtures & open blinds & curtains. Bright & light!
- Keep home cool in summer; make it feel warm and cozy in winter.
- Don’t use scented candles or air fresheners. Many people are put off by scents and might think you are trying to mask suspicious odours.
- Depersonalize where possible. Remove family photos etc.
- Remove all signs of pets & try to remove pets for showings or contain them in one room.
- Move all your vehicles temporarily to leave room for visitors & showcase garage and parking.
- Fluffy towels & spa-like accessories in bathrooms.
If you choose to work with me to sell your home, I can provide advice and more detailed checklists to prepare you for open houses and showings, and I can connect you with a staging professional if you require that service to make your home look its very best.
When selling your home, it’s important to consider it as a marketable property, and examine it with a critical eye (just as buyers would). I want to help you get the best price possible! Contact me today for a FREE HOME EVALUATION.
And if you’re just starting to think of selling your home and making a move, here is my 10 STEP GUIDE TO SELLING YOUR HOME.